OSGeo:UK 2018 AGM Minutes
12th September 2018
Officers and Trustees Present
- Jo Cook
- Steven Feldman
- Matt Travis
- Alastair Graham
Apologies for Absence
Minutes of Previous Meeting
Past and Future events
- Thanks to everyone involved in organising FOSS4GUK 2018, it was a big success.
- FOSS4GUK 2019 will be happening but isn’t formally announced yet.
- QGIS UK events- FOSS4GUK are happy to act as banker as long as they are revenue-neutral.
- UK Mapping Festival- no “official” presence, but Steven Feldman was there for one day- it could have been better, but perhaps if there’s a chance to organise an open source day next year we should try to be involved if it doesn’t conflict with FOSS4GUK.
- FOSS4G ECO didn’t happen due to funding and time constraints.
- General feeling is that themed streams possibly work better than themed events- cross-pollination
- For FOSS4GUK events venue is key- Geovation Hub was too small really. We’re looking for venues with a capacity of 200-300.
- For future events we need to consider diversity, and actively seeking participants from minority groups. We need to monitor diversity too.
- Draft accounts prepared by Matt Travis and reviewed by Steven Feldman.
- Total income ~£18K
- Total expenditure ~£14K
- Figures include FOSS4G and QGIS UG
- We made ~£7K from FOSS4GUK
- Net profit £3.5K
- Balance £13K
- Corporation Tax £703 to be paid by end December
- Typically we make donations in March and FOSS4GUK 2019 will happen after 2019 tax submission so we will show a loss in 2018-2019.
- Aim to get more personal donations.
- Supported Geoserver Code Sprint, QGIS, FOSS4G Travel Grant in 2017-2018
- Are supporting Regina Obe (via Patreon) and PostGIS in 2018-2019
- Is sponsorship of software the best use of our funds or should we be focusing on individual travel grants (we had one request last year)- how to promote this- make it more obvious on the home page?
Appointment of Officers
- Steven retiring as treasurer- Jo nominates Matt Travis to take over, seconded by Tom Chadwin. Happy to remain as a trustee/committee member
- Registered office to stay at Steven’s address for as long as it’s necessary
- Antony Scott is happy to stand as secretary again
- Jo happy to stand as chair again
Any other business
- Application to become a charity was rejected, but re-submitting would be hard, and would probably not get accepted. Given that the main reason was for tax purposes, the trustees/committee feel it’s not worth re-submitting. The reporting burden for charities is quite severe as well.
- Steven Feldman proposes an amendment to the constitution to increase the number of committee members to 4. Seconded by Matt Travis and approved.
- This needs to be posted to the list, and sent to the secretary 28 days beforehand as per constitution. We then need an SGM to agree it.
- Jo happy to coordinate OSGeo:UK response to Geospatial World Leadership call for evidence. Steven is concerned about a conflict of interest and will not be participating in the OSGeo:UK response.
Date of next AGM
- TBA September 2019 (roughly)